- 2 jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces chicken tenderloins
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed, brushed, and halved
- 1 large whole-wheat baguette, sliced open
- 4 Boston or Bib lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Yield: 4 servings
In a food processor, combine the roasted red bell peppers, garlic, walnuts, mustard, 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Blend until the mixture until almost smooth. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil followed by the tenderloins.
Cook, turning once, until the meat is browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes.
Transfer to a cutting board to rest.
Season the portabellas. In the same skillet used to cook the chicken, add the final tablespoon of olive oil.
Cook the mushrooms, turning once, until the edges begin to brown and the mushrooms become tender, another 6 minutes.
Transfer to the cutting board as well.
To assemble the sandwich, spread the baguette with the red pepper pesto.
Place the tenderloins, mushrooms, lettuce, and tomato on top.
Close the baguette and cut into 4 equal sections. Serve or pack away for a lunch on the go.
- Calories: 400
- Protein: 30 g
- Carbohydrate: 44 g
- Total Fat: 12 g
- Sodium: 692 mg
- Fiber: 8 g